Welcome to Kaminari Taiko!
We hope you enjoyed your free trial session of Beginner Taiko. Beginner Taiko is the introductory class on our Performance Track, designed for students interested in studying taiko long-term, with a focus on performance.
Part of your taiko training is learning how to learn taiko. It may be different than any other kind of music you've learned before. We recommend trying a bunch of different study methods -- watching videos, listening, looking at sheet music, singing, writing out the rhythms yourself, drumming on your steering wheel -- to figure out what works best for you.
Beginner Taiko is a mostly self-paced class, so different students will take different amounts of time to progress through the class. When you can demonstrate that you've learned the Beginner curriculum, the Artistic Directors (Yaz and Natalie) will evaluate you for placement in the Apprentice group.
How to Apply for Membership
In order to enroll in ongoing classes, you will need to become a Kaminari Taiko member. Here's how.
- Complete and submit the online Membership Application Form.
- Sign a paper release form at the dojo.
- Pay your registration fee ($30) and first month's dues and class fee ($40) by cash, check, or credit card.
Beginner Taiko Information
- Sundays, 9:00 - 10:15 AM
- Dues and class fees $40/month, payable monthly or quarterly
- Instructor is Yaz Kuniyoshi (email@example.com)
- Please let your instructor know in advance if you will miss class
- Beginner Taiko Curriculum:
- Sheet music is on Google Drive here. (You'll get access to the folder once you become a member.)
Fees and Dues
- Registration Fee: $30 (waived if a member of the applicant's household is an active Kaminari Taiko member)
- Membership Dues: $20/month
- Beginner Taiko Class Fee: $20/month
- OPTIONAL - Bachi: $30
- OPTIONAL - Kaminari T-shirt: $10
No credits or refunds will be given for any payments. There will be a $25 service charge on all returned checks. To maintain your membership in Kaminari Taiko, you must make timely monthly or quarterly payment of dues and class fees.
How to Pay by Credit Card
- Visit the Support page at ilovetaiko.org.
- Click on the yellow Donate button.
- Log in to your PayPal account or enter your credit card information.
- Be sure to include your name and what the payment is for ("Jane Doe, September 2017 classes") in the notes/comments section.
Ask your instructor, or email Carmen at firstname.lastname@example.org.